Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Best run ever!

YEE-HAW! I just came back from my best run ever. On the track. Level. Fastest time for three miles.  All of you veteran runners out there, remember I am an old (54) beginner....so bear with me.  I am an analyst at heart and love to analyze the hows and whys. After my difficult run on Monday, I decided to take a new approach today. Mind over body. As long as my heart rate didn't get over 170 I was going to keep pushing it and not slow down no matter how I felt. I did just that and check out those splits, baby!  One of my goals for 2014 was to be able to run a ten minute mile for three miles. I am almost there! Now if I can do that on the New Year's Day 5k race…

Split
Time
Distance
Avg Pace
Summary30:16.13.0010:05
110:23.31.0010:23
210:07.41.0010:08
39:45.31.009:46


I read an article a while back about how people will quote the scripture "the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak" in reference to not exercising, and how that is really backwards.  The flesh (body) is willing, but the spirit (mind) is weak.  If our mind tells our body to do it, it will.  In my mind today, I kept thinking of my 62 year old friend running a 9:25 min/mi pace, and she is a beginning runner.  Yeah, she is probably in a bit better shape than me, but I'm not in bad shape.  I told myself "just watch your heart rate…you know it often goes over 170 and you are still ok……just push it a bit….only 3 miles…you can keep it up"  Isn't it amazing what our self-talk can do? for good and for bad.

Thank you Lord for a good run on your birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment