Saturday, August 3, 2013

Runner's Aches and Pains

A couple of weeks ago I ran five miles on the treadmill. Four had been the most up to that day. I had read where you shouldn't increase your mileage by more than 10% a week, but I also saw where it was common to have a long run at least once a week. Maybe those long runs are for more experienced runners.

Anyway, it felt great. I don't remember if I stretched out afterwards. I knew it took an extra 11 minutes or so and I was in a hurry to get home. I didn't run for three days and then did four miles. Uneventful. Then my left groin began to hurt. And it has bothered me a bit most of the week. I am continuing the running, but not as much. I only ran 3.5 and 4 this week. Last night was the four mile run and I slowed way, way down. I was able to run farther without a significant amount of pain by going about a 13 minute mile. Yes, slow.

Is it from not stretching? Shoes? Uneven gait? Odd, how if anything ever hurts, it is always on my left leg. My left ankle still gives me trouble sometimes. It gets really stiff but once I start moving it by walking or running, it seems better...until the next time it is stationary. Is this normal for a new runner at 54?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment