Friday, May 10, 2013

After C25K, a running maintenance training plan

I ran with a young friend the other night and we took it really slow. I mean s..l..o..w, as in 12 minute mile slow. However, it was probably the best run I've had as far as feeling good. I did 3.1 miles in 36:41 which sounds awful but we chatted the whole time, I could tell my heart rate didn't get up too high, and I felt like I could have gone even farther. I've been trying to read up on beginning running training and most everyone says run for time, don't worry about the distance until you have built up your endurance.

Our wellness advisor at work sent us a running maintenance schedule with the goal of running for an hour after 15 weeks. This is for those who have completed the couch to 5k program and want to increase their distance. You run on Mondays and Wednesdays beginning with 30 minutes and gradually work up to 60. Saturday runs are for miles and are a bit less than the Monday Wednesday runs. Saturday runs begin at 2 miles and work up to 5.

I am going to do it. After Wednesday's run, I know I can. Initially I was going to stretch it out but I was so encouraged by how I felt on Wednesday I may just start at about week four.

I think I've finally got this running thing......

By the way, Marshall's has great deals and a great selection of running clothes. Picked up a New Balance sports bra, an Adidas rain jacket, and a Columbia tech shirt today. Cheap.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment