Sunday, November 19, 2017

Secret City Half Marathon

This is the third time, I've done this race.  It is close, and not too many hills.  The weather was about perfect -- cloudy, mid fifties.  There was some wind, but it wasn't too bad.  I had prepared myself not to PR, with the knee problems I have been having.  I"m sure now it was just overuse.  I looked back at my calendar and I only had 6 days between my 12 mile and 10 mile runs.  I should have given more time after the 12 miler....and also do more leg lunges during the whole span of training.  First up, the pre-race selfie.
This is my cute friend.  She's fairly new to running, maybe only 2-3 years, but she's a natural.  A couple of years younger than me but in the same age group. She did great for her first half.  She beat me, but I knew she would, and very happy for her.
She finished in 2:37 and me in 2:39. We finished 10 and 11 out of 16 in our age group.  She is already talking about finishing better "next time."  Last year was my best time, at 2:36. There was no way, I'd beat that.  I was thrilled with my time. I expected anything from 2:45 to 3 hours. She had hoped to do better, but I think her time was really good for a first.  Her husband, sons, and grands came to see her cross the finish line.  My hubby went with me too, and treated me to Chick Fil-A afterwards.  Yum.
It was tough but the knees didn't bother me too much. Of course today, they are .....wowsers....knees, feet, and hips. I'll be fine in a couple of days and start planning my next one.  What races do you have on your schedule?

No comments:

Post a Comment