Friday, June 30, 2017

Running in the rain

I hate summer running.  I am not a morning person and already get up at 4:30 2-3 days a week to get to work, so I just can't get out there early to run.  I'm much more likely to run at 8-9pm at night when I am trying to avoid the sun.  However, I love running in a drizzling rain.  Today was one of those glorious runs.  Even though it was on the track, it was cloudy, drizzly, I was basically alone, and I loved it!
I was hoping to do 5-6 miles.  I am wanting to try to start running longer since I can't seem to get faster.  Today, I was faster though.  It had to be due to the rain keeping me fairly cool. I did 6 miles with an average time of 12:50 per mile.  That includes 5 minutes of walking in the first mile. I sometimes change up my intervals but right now I am doing 2 minutes of running to 30 seconds of walking and that seems to work pretty good.  It felt so good today!  I've had the pleasant endorphins all day.  I never really try to run fast anymore. I watch my heart rate and since it tends to run high I try to keep it in a certain range.  Of course in races I do try to go faster. I try to follow Jeff Galloway's method of running 1-2 minutes slower per mile while training than you plan to do in a race.

I've got to do better about my sunscreen though.  I've had a teeny, tiny little red place on my arm for several years.  It comes and goes.  The dermatologist burned it off two years ago but it came back.  i was pretty sure that it was basal cell carcinoma.  My sister had one in the same place earlier this year and ended up with a quarter size hole in her arm when they removed it.  Rarely they metastasize, but if not treated promptly can result in disfiguring surgery to remove them. Mine was tiny. So tiny, I was a little embarrassed to even go to the dermatologist about it, although I was pretty sure it was that type of skin cancer.  I'm glad I did.  It was basal cell carcinoma and I ended up with a 1/4" hole in my arm for the biopsy.
I always use sunscreen on my face and neck and even try on my hands because they are showing my age. I am not good about my arms or legs. I learned that the left arm is a very common place for it due to the driver's windows in cars do not have sun protection.  So now, I get to go to the dermatologist every six months.

I do a lot of thinking while I run.  Running on the track makes it easy to let my mind drift.  The miles passed quickly today.....if I am not praying (which I try to do), or listening to a book (not time to get my monthly book yet), I might work on a quilt in my mind - thinking of the design, color, quilting, I might go over a conversation I've had with someone where we disagreed. Many times I prepare a rebuttal in my mind, but never actually make that rebuttal.  I guess that is good, I get it all out of my system while running, so I don't say things I shouldn't face to face.  Does anyone else do that? Sometimes I analyze my Garmin data while running.  I'm a data analyst by nature and career, so I love all the data Garmin provides.  Most of my running time is spent thinking, but sometimes I just run, and do nothing but listen to my beeps telling me when to walk and when to run.  I hope I can do this for many, many more years. Best. Exercise. Ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment