Sunday, November 27, 2016

MAF Training

Most days I really don't feel my age. I'll be 58 in January. Been running for four years.  I recently did my fifth half marathon, and a 10k on Thanksgiving day.  I just can't seem to get any faster. My maximum heart rate is about 200. I know that is way above the 220-age formula, but it is what it is.  I am ready to try the MAF (Maximum Aerobic Function) training again.  I tried once before but I could do NO running in keeping it in the 120's (using the formula).  Using 200 as my maximum, I am going to set my Garmin to alarm if it gets over 150. I've been doing lots of reading, and think maybe I've been doing "wasteful" running, by almost always running in my zone 4-5 (150-180) range. I think I am committed to MAF this time.  I'd like to try it for a minimum of 3 months and see if I get improvements in my pace.

Day1 - My normal running pace (typically do run/walk/run) is around 11:15-12:30 and my regular walking pace is a 17 minute mile.  Today I did 4 miles trying to keep my heart rate under 137 (too low I've now decided), and my pace was right around 16 minutes. That was a lot of walking!  Hopefully when I change the range to 140-150 I can actually do more running.  I also like the idea of burning fat rather than carbs. On my long runs I always have to eat a GU or something or I will crash.  Burning fat is supposed to be more efficient for energy and I shouldn't have to add carbs to get energy. I noticed today, I didn't sweat as much and kept a jacket on the whole time.

The only race on my horizon is the tentative Hot Chocolate 15k in February. Not sure if I will be running it, but I hope so.  Maybe there will be some pace reductions by then, if this works. Keeping my fingers crossed.

5 comments:

  1. A few years ago, I had a running coach make up a training plan for a half I was doing. He said a main reason that runners may not improve is they run their easy runs too fast and their fast runs too slow. Pretty much what you just wrote! He gave me a pace for every run. Every so many weeks I'd do a 5k as fast as I could, and then we'd adjust the paces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So, I assume you got faster? I'm trying this, but I still wonder about my heart rate.

      Delete
  2. My next half was faster. I'm not sure if I worked harder for it or if I did get faster in general. This past fall my pace picked up. That was the first time I felt it. My easy runs got easier and quicker. Last year I added consistent cross-training three times a week. I think for me it's really made a difference. So now I run three days, cross-train three days, two Pilates classes, and one day rest. Strengthening the core and back side was key. Did you ask your doctor about your heart rate?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My doctor says I am fine but I should be trying to take it easier to get the heart rate to come down. Although I was determined to try it for 3 months, I did it for a month and went back to my Jeff Galloway 90/30 intervals, but trying to do them slower. My heart alert was going off all the time, but now I just try to keep it slow and run very slow for 90 seconds then walk 30. Most of the time my average HR is in the 130's, still too high according to the MAF stuff, but lower than it used to be. I'd love to add some strength training but working 2-3 ten hour days, managing my mom's finances and care, and my side quilt design business, I can't add any gym time. If I could remember to do some strength exercises at home occasionally that would help I'm sure. I need to make me a book/schedule. If I have a plan and a sign off sheet, usually I'll do it.

      Delete
  3. You sound like me! Putting something in writing almost always makes me accountable!

    ReplyDelete