Sunday, September 1, 2013

Running in humidity

I was itching to run again so I went out in the heat and humidity tonight. It could have been worse. At least there were some clouds blocking the sun. Three miles at penguin pace - 12 min/mi.

By the way, I love these shorts. Nike tempo shorts.

There really is such a thing as penguin running. It was coined by John Bingham who is a very celebrated slow runner (12 min/mi), speaker, and author. He has written several books and wrote a column called, "The Chronicles," and later "No Need for Speed" from May 1996 to December 2009 in Runner's World magazine. You can find all his articles The Pengun Chronicles Archive. He encourages the masses to run. Those who like him, are self declared non-athletes, older runners, new runners. I like his stuff. He is a very funny guy too. I would love to hear him speak sometime.

I have to remind myself.....I am not in this to win races, I am in this for the long term...to improve my bone density, heart, fitness level, keep my weight down, and to have an activity that is good for me that I enjoy. I have to keep telling myself this so I won't push too hard to go faster. My heart rate still gets up in the 170s unless I stay about at 12 minute miles. Then it is in the 160s. From all I've read 170s is too high for a 54 year old.

So, I waddle along......and am happy to be out there waddling......

 

No comments:

Post a Comment